Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Homework 8- Comment On Partner's Videos

Sam,

I actually really enjoyed your video because I think you organized it in a thoughtful and organized way. I like how you incorporated all of your uses of technology, and how it transitioned flawlessly. I also like the music you were listening to in the background, and how you shown yourself just lying there listening to music.

One of the main points that you wrote about was how out of place you felt watching yourself on video. I felt the same way when watching my video, and automatically connected what you said to what I wrote in my post. One of my favorite quotes in your post was “I love the feeling when I’m using them and not watching myself do so, I dislike the strange feeling I get when I’m watching myself.” I liked this quote because I feel that it states how most people feel when using technology versus watching themselves using technology. I feel that you summed up that point excellently with that one statement.

Another quote I thought was interesting in your post was “I think what’s happening on the digital devices – like exactly what is going through our minds is more along the lines of satisfaction/ enjoyment. But this is not the way it seems when we watch ourselves doing so.” This line made me think about what you said, and how it’s true. We have so much fun using digital devices but when watching ourselves using these devices, we look nothing but bored and zoned out. Maybe you can ask some people who watch your video how they are reacting, or how they think you look? I know you posted something like that in your post, but maybe you might want people to have that focus when watching your video? It’s just a suggestion, but it goes along with what you are saying, that is what I brought it up.

Your post helps me realize that we don’t need technology to have fun; we can make our own fun. Watching your video made me realize that almost everyone’s videos is the same, we all have that zoned out staring into space look on our faces.
I really enjoyed reading your post, and thought it brought up a lot of intellectual points. I can’t wait to read more of your posts.

-Rachel

Amanda,

I really enjoyed reading your post and watching your video, I thought you had some interesting points, and your video was nice and organized. I also liked the transitions you put in there when switching from digital devices.

One of your paragraphs made me laugh, while also bringing up an extremely interesting point. Your paragraph that reads “Every time I view my video, it seems as if I am continuously reliving those meaningless moments.” I thought that was funny because I never really thought about watching a video of yourself using technology as a meaningless moment, but now that you brought it up, it makes a lot of sense. Okay now that I explained why I find it funny, it doesn’t seem so funny anymore. But that is an extremely interesting and true point though.

One of your quotes made me think about a conversation I had with my friend Jimmy a while ago. The quote that reads “Is it really possible to have an extremely deep conversation that isn't face to face?” A couple of months ago Jimmy and I were having an extremely deep conversation (through aim no less), and we were also thinking about how most of the time conversations people have with each other are pointless. I was telling him how nice it was to be able to have a friend you could have a deep conversation with, and he said sometimes that is what you need. He said sometimes pointless conversation just doesn’t satisfy one’s needs. When reading this question you posed, I thought about how it is possible to have an extremely deep conversation that isn’t face to face, but people don’t because they get lazy and instead have pointless conversations that don’t require much thought.

Because of this line in your post “It seemed as if I was wasting time”, I have decided to change a little bit of my lifestyle. I realized that it is true, while using all these digital devices; we are wasting our lives slowly. Every moment consumed staring at a screen for entertainment use is a moment we could be out being active, but we aren’t. It’s also a moment we can never recover.

To tie back to the question you asked and I previously restated, maybe you can try having more meaningful conversations with your friends? Even though it does not look like you are having those conversations, you know that you are which means you aren’t wasting your time. I am not saying you have to have these conversations all the time, everyone knows that would suck. But just see if you could incorporate it into your daily life?

I really enjoyed reading your post and can’t wait to red more posts by you!

-Rachel

1 comment:

  1. my reply to you in on my blog. sorry -- my account doesnt let me post long comments

    ReplyDelete