Sunday, February 14, 2010

Homework 40- School Interviews

Part A
Interview with my sister, Kayla:
Do you think by choosing or constructing your own curriculum, students would have a larger desire to learn and attend school on one's own free will?

Yes , because it would be more fun and you don’t have to associate yourself with subjects that you do not care for. I would like to study what I enjoy. Such as history, English, and science to name a few. But I could do without math, because I am not a big fan of it.

At what age do you have the right to choose your own curriculum?
College is the correct age. While you’re still developing you don’t know what you want to do, or what you want to pursue. Once it comes time to college must make a decision because adult, and you know what you enjoy and like learning about, and have a sense of what you want to do with the rest of your life.


What are some of the major ways school has contributed to our lives?

It helps you get a job and it helps you learn how to socialize with others because you are around others a lot.

How has influence from society and others helped influence your decision to attend college?
I want to attend college because people don’t look down on you, look at you as an equal on an intelligence level with a college degree. If you don’t people look at you as if you are not as smart as they are.

Interview with my friend Billy
Do you think by choosing or constructing your own curriculum, students would have a larger desire to learn and attend school on one's own free will?
Yes I think that students would deffinitly have a larger desire to learn=)

What are some of the major ways school has contributed to our lives?
Of course has basically taught us all the skills we need to be successful in life...without a good education your doomed.

How has influence from society and others helped influence your decision to attend college?
Encouragement from friends and family helps people gain confidence in themselves to attend college.

Interview with Adam Wardas:
Do you think by choosing or constructing your own curriculum, students would have a larger desire to learn and attend school on one's own free will?
Yes, because you'd be interested in the subject, so you'd want to learn more about it

What are some of the major ways school has contributed to our lives?
School has helped me see the differences in people... it gave me problems that I had to solve.

How has influence from society and others helped influence your decision to attend college?
Society has made college look fun, however i still see it as an institution of learning.

Interview with my friend Yang:
If no one influenced or pressured you to go to college ever in your life would you still consider going, why or why not?
Yes because i want to be able to have a career and life of my own when I’m older. i don’t want to have to depend on others and i feel a college education is essential to having a better future career wise.

Do you believe you would receive a better education at a private school versus a public school, and to what extent would the education be better(if it is)?
i don’t think it is a matter of private or public school, I think it’s a matter of each individual school. there are some public schools that have given kids a better education including better range of class choices, better staff teaching them, more available extra tutoring, etc than others and then there are some private schools that don’t teach well or much at all but have kids with better grades because the teachers are easy graders but the kids don’t even learn anything. It’s all about each individual school but i feel a majority of my friends in public schools have gotten better educations.

How do you believe the material we learn in school affects our society and workforce?
hard to answer....not sure how to answer this. i'd say yes and no, depending on class. example: economics teaches us a lot for investments and such...i don’t know this question confuses me.

Interview with myself:

If no one influenced or pressured you to go to college ever in your life would you still consider going, why or why not?
I would still consider going to college because I feel that without a college degree, you can not succeed anywhere in life. Even though I had college drilled into my head since I was a freshman, I still believe that college is a huge milestone in our lives. Without a college degree I feel as if people would judge you, and it would be harder to get a steady job.

How do you believe the material we learn in school affects our society and workforce?
I believe that what we learn in school helps prepare us for our future. Even though algebra, trigonometry, and physics might not seem as if they play a big role, I believe that it is better to know these things. But having a variety of knowledge in each core subject, one can be extremely diverse.

Do you believe you would receive a better education at a private high school versus a public high school, and to what extent would the education be better(if it is?
I don’t believe that a private high school education differs from a public high school education. The core subjects are still taught. In some particular private schools, religion is taught as a class. Religion is not allowed to be taught at public schools, because of the diverse student community. Except for the price tag on a private school, I highly doubt private schools are any better than public schools. In the case of high school education anyway.

Part B
After conducting my interviews, I realized that even though people complain about going to school all the time, they still believe it is a big part of our lives. If given the choice to not attend college, people would still attend because they believe that a college degree helps them succeed in life. Initially, I thought that people would feel that if they did not have to attend college they would not. From what I hear from my friends and others, school is such a hassle for them. All the school and homework, all the stress of receiving grades, the waking up early in the morning. But here I was, giving them a chance to throw all that away. I told them they would not have to listen to others pressure them into attending college, but here they are telling me they would still attend. I have to admit I was rather shocked, but I was also proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment